Judy Lysaught is an experienced and highly skilled defense attorney, focusing her practice in the areas of insurance coverage, civil litigation and appeals. Ms. Lysaught began her legal career in Chicago, Illinois where she worked as defense counsel for some of the city’s top defense firms. She was also legal counsel for a national insurance company where she established and managed an insurance coverage practice for the Chicago office and was named National Coverage Counsel for TCPA claims. After moving to the D.C. area in 2012, Ms. Lysaught became licensed to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Handling a wide variety of cases, Ms. Lysaught aggressively defends her clients. While working with the D.C. office, she has obtained several full dismissals on behalf of her clients as well as very favorable settlements after mediation. Ms. Lysaught’s most recent successes include:
- Motion to Dismiss granted on all counts in an insurance coverage suit brought against a major sports and media conglomerate;
- Blocked class-certification in a suit filed in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City against a property owner and property manager alleging violation of the Maryland Consumer Protection Act, Breach of Warranty and other claims;
- Early Motion for Summary Judgment granted in favor of a school board, school superintendent and school board employees in a high-profile case involving alleged violations of Plaintiffs’ First and Fourteenth Amendment rights after a hotly-contested school board election;
- Motion to Dismiss granted on behalf of a California corporation due to lack of personal jurisdiction;
- Motion to Dismiss granted after hearing on Plaintiff Police Officer’s six-count complaint against a psychologist and related defendants following a fitness-for-duty exam, alleging defamation and other claims in the Circuit Court of Baltimore City.
Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
* Not licensed in Virginia